Monday, June 9, 2008

Other peoples chairs...


I have spent the weekend slowly dipping into other designers work in order to develop lectures for my Furniture class. The partnership of Ronan and Erwin Bouroullec is really interesting to me. Visually their work is difficult for me to absorb. The products like the algae screen to the right is wonderful and could be used in really interesting spacially BUT when I looked into actually buying it for a lot of space it was prohibitive.
now these two chairs are real ideas about material. The lounge chair clearly is a comment on how little material can evoke comfort and the "slow" chairs to the right are an investigation as to how or why steel and wood have not been used together in mass produced ways- there is kind of an obvious answer but when presented with such beautiful resolve one might redesign furniture factories for this result.

No comments: