Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Modern Mississippi

Imagine our surprise in Natchez when Madeline and I were walking down Main Street and saw a very chic store front that said 20th century jewelry and ceramics! My weakness is modernist ceramics and if I could have had another career I would give it all up and open a shop just like this. Marbeth Schon has the most wonderful sensibility. The shop has a great architect's file cabinet as its center piece and the walls are currently hung with Margaret Bourke-White Prints. Her web site is www.mschon.com, she has recently published this great book Form and Function American Modernist Jewelry, 1940-1970, published by Schiffer. This Ed Winter plate came home with me to be with two other very modernist vases. Imagine finding such a neat place when you are expecting "19th century decor all day everyday".

No comments: