Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Great Woman and a Great Building


Yesterday Hillary Clinton suspended her campaign and I cried. I intellectually understand that Obama is a symbol of change for the country and God speed if he can get elected. But that woman worked so hard. She did give her speech in one of my favorite buildings; The National Building Museum in Washington, D.C. http://www.nbm.org/about-us/historic-building/ On the web site it tells the story of the building but I heard a better story. The building was built for the Civil War pensioners and thus the enormous scale of the Great Hall. The storyteller said, "just imagine all those old guys waiting for their checks with their Corn cob pipes, shooting the breeze about the great conflict......" I like that image better because in some way it was a building built for the function of bringing the country together, can architecture still do that?

No comments: