Wednesday, August 13, 2008

When is Design Good?


www.nytimes.com/2008/08/07/garden/07starck.html This article is about Phillip Starck and was in the Times last week and speaks about a lot of the things I struggle with in the design culture. Starck is truely the only original form giver of the 21st century. And I have always loved his work in particular the boldness of scale that he uses in most architectural projects...what is really big and what is really small? And how does it effect space? He had been talking about the consumptive nature of the design world and how he wanted to move in a direction that has a lighter footprint. This article talks about the very beautiful wind turbines that he has designed. This is interesting on two fronts-one the sustainable movement has had to fight against the uglies of the 60's sustainable culture...this says sustainability is beautiful and two he paid for it himself...which says I believe so I pay for new technology. Some would say elitist, I say inspiring-and I actually love to call people elitist.

No comments: