Friday, August 29, 2008

Building words

In an effort to get myself to write this paper about the furniture work. ; I will post this image of the Love seat for Lytton Strachey and Virginia Woolf; A Love Seat for Reading Poetry. This is the built version of the love seat and was exhibited in 2001 in Brooklyn. So here is my opening paragraph:


For the past 15 years rather than an alternative practice I have had a parallel practice in which I have been investigating the built form of biography. At first the subject manner has mirrored my life as a creative woman but gradually as I matured I looked to others for kinship in the act of making. These pieces are a deeper exploration of the typical design practice. I have reached for a more spiritually and intrinsic understanding of the person's life by designing a piece of furniture for people I admire.

No comments: